Thursday, September 24, 2009

Issue One: Prompt!

You'll have to forgive me, as this first prompt is pretty general and boring, but I thought it might be appropriate for the first edition and I trust that you folks will find somewhere interesting within it to explore:

What does the word "feminism" mean to you? Do you find that it's an archaic concept or do you find relevence in it? Do you identify as a feminist? Why or why not? If so, what brought you to feminism?

Feel free to answer all or none of these questions within your response . . . I just wanted to provide a starting point. I'd like to recieve your responses within the next month, with the official deadline being Friday, October 23rd.

3 comments:

  1. you might want to consider outlining what kind of individuals you'd like to be contributing to your project. I didn't see anything mentioned in your first post and then here you refer to "you ladies". feminism is fun for all genders. but you may be alienating people who aren't female-identified who'd like to contribute to your zine by addressing your readers as "ladies".

    just a thought! :)


    p.s. if this is a space for female-identified voices only, I totally respect that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, and posted a response. However, I keep running into this issue, in that I always say either "you guys" or "you ladies" or "you girls," and I can't figure out what else to say that is not gender-specific besides "y'all," which FOR SOME REASON I've just always disliked. I think because my mom was an English major and when I lived in Virginia when I was young, everyone said "y'all" and my mom would always correct them, so I grew up thinking it was wrong before gender-issues were something I began to think about. Any ideas on gender-free alternatives besides "y'all?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to say "you folks".
    It takes some getting used to, but it works the best for me.

    ReplyDelete